Operating in 13 prisons across the country the service is available to prisoners with a history of substance abuse such as opiates, cocaine, alcohol and other legal and non-legal drugs.
Prisoners can benefit from professional addiction counselling through structured assessments and evidence based counselling interventions with clearly defined treatment plans and goals.
Services offered as part of the counselling service include:
- Brief interventions
- Motivation therapy
- 12 step programmes
- Relapse prevention
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, including problem solving, development of alternative coping strategies and anxiety, stress and anger management.
MQI Prison Based Addiction Counsellors currently work in the following prisons:
- Castlerea Prison - Co. Roscommon
- Cork Prison – Co. Cork
- Limerick Prison – Co. Limerick
- Loughan House – Co. Cavan
- Mountjoy Prison – Co. Dublin
- Male Prison
- The Training Unit
- Dochas Female Prison
- St Patrick's Institution for young offenders
- Shelton Abbey – Co. Wicklow
- West Dublin Prison Campus – Co. Dublin
- Portlaoise Prison - Co Laois
- Midlands Prison - Co Laois.
If you know someone in prison or are concerned about a prisoner then advise them to ask any of the health care team about the MQI counselling service.